Thursday, July 22, 2010

The OCD Technique

A few days ago I was telling you about the techniques used to treat Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD). For the ones of you who don't know what this is, I will try to explain it. According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder is

an anxiety disorder and is characterized by recurrent, unwanted thoughts (obsessions) and/or repetitive behaviors (compulsions). Repetitive behaviors such as handwashing, counting, checking, or cleaning are often performed with the hope of preventing obsessive thoughts or making them go away. Performing these so-called "rituals," however, provides only temporary relief, and not performing them markedly increases anxiety.

The most common approaches to treat OCD are cognitive-behavioral therapy, and the exposure exercises, where the therapist encourages the patient to face the fears that trigger their compulsions. For example, lets say that a patient is afraid of germs, and he or she never shakes anyone's hand because they feel the other person's hand is full of germs and will transmit all sort of diseases. In addition, lets say that the patient not only does not shake anyone's hand, but also believes that if he or she washes their hands for 30 minutes at a time,counting every time they rub their hands together, that this behavior will protect him or her from getting any diseases at all. To free that person from the compulsion, a therapist could sit the patient down, and with a dirty hand, hold the patient's hand until his or her anxiety level decrease for at least 50% of their initial level. Now, this is an exposure, but also a desensitization technique when performed several times; as much as the person is exposed to what triggers their anxiety, the more desensitized he or she will become of the trigger. The idea is to have the patient experience the extreme anxiety, and stay with it without engaging in the compulsion until the anxiety lowers. Eventually, the patient will understand that the compulsive behavior and the obsessive thought is very silly, that he or she would not get sick just by holding someones hand, and learn how to control the anxiety and avoid engaging on the compulsive behavior.

As I read about this and watched a few programs on the subject, I realized that what makes me eat, is obsession and compulsion. How so? Well, some people eat when they are anxious, depressed, or even happy; I eat when I am anxious. An obsession is the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc (Dictionary.com). A compulsion is a state of being compelled; it is an irresistible impulse to perform an act (Merriam-Webster). Eating because you are anxious or depressed, or whatever reason, sounds like a compulsion to me, and eat in response to an irrational thought that triggers an anxiety, sound a lot like obsession to me. I get anxious, then I engage in an obsessive thinking that I need to eat, or I won't be able to handle the anxiety. I can't get rid of the obsessive thought, then I engage on the compulsive behavior of eating. Now, If I use OCD's exposure technique when I feel the urge to eat, it might actually be what I need to control this behavior. One of the reasons why the exposure and desensitization techniques are so effective, is that it helps the patient to learn how to control the anxiety, and not allow the anxiety to control them. Thant is what I need.

So I came up with this theory, that if I feel anxious and compelled to eat, I should not give in. This compulsion to eat is not about the food, it's about the feeling (the obsession) that triggers the eating. What makes me want to eat is the anxiety, not real hunger. The anxiety builds up, bringing discomfort feelings, making me eat to either numb that feeling, or get rid of the anxiety all together. I recall a couple of times when I was trying to control my urge to eat, and I got really anxious and sad. After I gave in and ate the food I was craving, I felt as a rush of adrenaline passed through my body, numbing me, and giving me a good relaxing feeling. I remember thinking that must be what a drug addict feels after shooting up heroin. I felt so bad, but at the same time so relieved... because I understood what was going on with me. It was an addiction, and I should treat it accordingly. See, some of you might relate to this...I eat because I like the taste, of course, but most important, I eat because I want to stop the anxiety, the craving, and the feelings that come with them. I don't want to feel the sadness that is trying to take over. But the truth is, the sadness is there, and I can't pretend it is not... by eating. By not facing these thoughts and feelings, I am allowing old feelings to emerge and hurt me, over and over again. I eat as an effort to forget about the feelings, and/or to suppress them. I believe that it might take a few anxiety episodes where I feel this urge to eat, and don't, to stop the behavior. If I sit with this discomfort, and experience the anxiety, the sadness... the anger... and allow myself to just feel it, and deal with it... I might just learn how to beat this compulsion. Just like with the OCD technique, your brain will learn that experiencing the anxiety wont kill you, that the sadness is not as bad as you might think, and that the anger you feel inside, once it's released, it's gone forever.

I never said this would be easy, right? But this is what I believe will help me, or anyone else that eats as a response to a cognitive trigger. Just don't be afraid of it. You are already suffering, you just pretend you aren't, when you eat. And after you eat, you add to your pain.... and you suppress it again. And you are in a down spiral, feeling there is no hope. If you decided to experience the feelings you are trying to run away from, I believe that all those unresolved issues that one day someone told you to forget about it and move on because there is no way you can defeat it.... will actually lose grip on you. Life is not easy, but it is great.... we just need to allow the bad experiences to come.... and go. Yes, bad things do happen to good people, but there is always a good side of it.... even if it was just to make you tougher.

So, I will try this the next time I realize I am giving in to a triggering thought. Once you engage in a behavior that follows a thought or a feeling, over, and over gain... I believe this is an Obsessive-compulsive behavior, and being so... it is treatable. The is light at the end of the tunnel.

Now, I want to share with you all that I have lost 3.8 pounds in one week! Isn't that great? I will tell you more about this tomorrow, my dear friends!

See you later,
Love always.....
Me

1 comment:

  1. And remember - No one will love you more than yourself! So, be kind to yourself and practice forgiveness. You DO deserve it!
    Congrats on your weight loss! Well done!
    luvya pedrits!

    ReplyDelete