Friday, July 23, 2010

It is Different For Everybody...


I have read several books and theories about how to lose weight. Some say you have to control every calorie intake, some say, stop thinking about losing weight, some say, focus on losing weight....I say, do what you feel most comfortable doing. You are the one who will find what works for you better. I would encourage you to work on your emotions as you try to work on your weight, because it was your emotions and your thoughts that got you here in the first place. After you work on your emotions, then you can chose the technique you feel will fit you better... be it the OCD technique or any technique... but find something you feel you can stick with.

I tried it all, I can tell you. Pills, diet, exercise, liposuction, fasting... When I was in my 20's I had a friend who told me this incredible thing she was doing to lose weight. She told me that once a day, she would eat whatever she wanted, as much as she wanted, and then purge it all after she ate. What?? I have never heard of such a thing in my life! That seamed so gross! But it clearly worked for her. One day I was so sad that I was putting on weight (10 pounds, maybe less... and I was sad... OMG)... so I tried purging too, and became a bulimic for many years. My point is, that when someone begins looking for solutions and miracles to lose the weight, you will always find several "solutions" and quick fixes that will help you lose weight, but won't really solve the problem. It will actually make it worse. After years of purging and treating it as just another way to lose weight, I had a class on eating disorders, and boy was I surprised! After that class I began investigating why I eat, and this journey of mine towards a healthy eating began. This was Summer 2007.

Well, I am trying to keep it short now.... Jan, my dear friend, told me I am writing too much on these posts.... but.... I just feel it helps me when I write it all down, and I can't say all I want to say in just a few lines....:(

Anyway... What I was trying to say was....Don't feel disappointed if a solution that works so well for your friend is not working for you. You are different people, with different metabolisms and lifestyles. So, see what you like, and what works best for you. You like to count calories, or do you prefer points? Maybe you like to buy food that is already portioned out for you? So do it! What ever works for you, do it. But what ever you do, pay attention to portion size, don't go over the calories you set up for your daily intake.... and exercise. Either walk, jog, Run, go to the Gym, Play with your Wii fit, Biggest loser Wii, use exercise DVD's, play tennis with a friend... what ever you chose... chose what you feel you will stick with, and I can guarantee...it will work for you. But you have to stick to it, do not give up! And... work on yourself... write down your feelings and thoughts, meditate, if this is something you like... but spend time with yourself and listen to your thoughts. If you think there are many deep emotional issues behind your eating habits, then seek therapy, or even some support group. There are so many options that you can find in your area! Whatever you do... just know that there is help out there... and if you ever need my help... I am here for you. Let's talk, laugh, cry... if you need me... just shout, and I will answer. If all you need is someone to listen... I am here.

I will prepare a post soon with websites and resource options if you guys need help with your eating disorders, compulsive eating, etc. There are support groups, therapists who work pro-bono with weekly support groups, and websites with information that can help you. I will make sure to post some information soon, okay?

See you soon, my friends
Love
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment